The area heater blamed for the fire was left on for several days, sources say

The area heater blamed for the fire was left on for several days, sources say

Authorities have said the horrific blaze at 333 E. 181st St. originated with a space heater in unit 3N, sending deadly billowing smoke throughout the 19-story high-rise.

Story Highlights:

  • The apartment where the fire started, killing at least 17 people and injuring dozens more, also had several space heaters, sources said.

  • Inside the apartment where the blaze started.

The space heater had been left on for several days, sources said.

Firefighters first responded to the six-alarm blaze shortly before 11 a.m. Sunday, with more than 200 firefighters dispatched.

An official investigation into the blaze is ongoing.

FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro said Monday that smoke spewing out of a door left open in apartment 3N — and not flames — was responsible for the deaths and injuries.

An official investigation into the blaze is ongoing.G.N.Miller/NYPost

Eight of those killed in the building were children.Tomas E. Gaston Authorities have said the horrific blaze originated with a space heater in unit 3N.

Apartment doors in the building were built to be self-closing, at least partly to contain fires, but this one “malfunctioned,” Nigro said. Mamadou Wague, the dad of the family in the apartment, told The Post on Monday that he believes he inadvertently pushed the door open too far, leading it to becoming stuck, while rescuing his daughter, who was burned and remained hospitalized.

Fire officials said eight of those killed in the building were children.

Check the latest news about Space news section for best information related to Space topic.

The best source of news - newszf.com
Logo
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare
0