According to a source close to the matter, Trevor Bauer’s appeal hearing with Major League Baseball over his 324-game suspension will begin on Monday, May 23.
Bauer earned a two-year suspension from MLB in April for breaching the league’s domestic abuse policy, which stemmed from an assault claim filed against him by a San Diego woman last year.
Because the contents of the hearing were not made public, the individual talked to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity.
Bauer has not pitched since June and he initially was placed on administrative leave by MLB in July, during which he received his salary from the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Bauer is set to appear in front of baseball’s arbitrator, Martin Scheinman in New York unless Bauer negotiates a settlement beforehand.
“In the strongest possible terms, I deny committing any violation of the league’s domestic violence and sexual assault policy,” Bauer said in a statement released by his representatives after MLB announced his suspension. “I am appealing this action and expect to prevail. As we have throughout this process, my representatives and I respect the confidentiality of the proceedings.”
Scheinman is baseball’s current arbitration panel chair and is the fourth “permanent” impartial arbitrator in baseball since 2012 after the other three were fired, including his predecessor, Mark Irvings, who was ousted by the MLB commissioner’s office in 2020.
“They are difficult cases,” Irvings told USA TODAY Sports, speaking of the general workload for the job. “They’re high-stakes. Both parties have high expectations. You have to be available for them, and they have the potential for high visibility. So it’s more stressful than most cases.”
Check the latest news about World news section for best information.