Edgar Berlanga was banned from boxing for six months and fined $ 10,000 for trying to bite.

Edgar Berlanga was banned from boxing for six months and fined $ 10,000 for trying to bite.

Super-middleweight Edgar Berlanga has been suspended for six months and fined $10,000 for attempting to bite opponent Roamer Alexis Angulo during their fight earlier this month.

During the seventh round of the NABO super-middleweight title fight, the 25-year-old attempted to bite Angulo on the left shoulder when they were in a clinch, but referee Ricky Gonzalez did not observe the incident.

The fines were imposed by the New York State Athletic Commission following the bout on June 11 at Madison Square Garden, which Berlanga won unanimously.

Berlanga joked afterwards, “I was about to do a Mike Tyson on him,” referencing when Tyson bit Evander Holyfield’s ear back in 1997.

“He knows better and he’s got a lot of people counselling him that know better and, hopefully, he will learn a lesson.

Top Rank chairman Bob Arum, Berlanga’s promoter, told Fight Freaks Unite: “Obviously, it’s a bad intentional foul, biting your opponent, so I can’t quarrel with the action of the commission.

“To make light of it and brag about it is what got him in trouble. He made it worse by making fun of it. When the time comes, we’ll sit down and talk with (his team) about what to do next.”

Berlanga apologised on Twitter the day after the fight, saying: “I want to apologize for my actions and what I said about the Mike Tyson bite.

“I was in the moment and got a little ahead of myself. It doesn’t take away from the embarrassment that I have caused upon myself, my team, Top Rank, and many others. “I reacted poorly and take full responsibility. Moving forward, I am going to be more mindful and encouraging in my behavior. Once again, I do apologize.”

 

Check the latest Sports news section for latest updates.

The best source of news - newszf.com
Logo
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare
0