Dustin Johnson confirms his resignation from the PGA Tour and his eligibility for the Ryder Cup: “LIV format is a real test”

Dustin Johnson confirms his resignation from the PGA Tour and his eligibility for the Ryder Cup: "LIV format is a real test"

Dustin Johnson has announced his resignation from the PGA Tour in order to compete in the Saudi-sponsored LIV Golf Invitational Series.

The former world number one expressed his enthusiasm for the contentious new format, saying it will be a “real test.”

Johnson, who spoke alongside fellow major winners Louis Oosthuizen and Graeme McDowell at a LIV press conference at the Centurion Club on Tuesday, said he resigned from the PGA Tour, making him ineligible for next year’s Ryder Cup.

“Obviously at this time it’s hard to speak on what the consequences will be, but for right now, I’ve resigned my membership from the PGA Tour,” Johnson said. “I’m going to play here for now, and that’s the plan.

Later on Tuesday, the USGA confirmed that golfers competing in this week’s LIV series opener will be allowed to play in next week’s US Open, providing they had already qualified.

“What the consequences are going to be, I can’t comment on how the tour is going to handle it.

A statement said: “Regarding players who may choose to play in London this week, we simply asked ourselves this question – should a player who had earned his way into the 2022 U.S. Open, via our published field criteria, be pulled out of the field as a result of his decision to play in another event? And we ultimately decided that they should not.

“Regarding players who may choose to play in London this week, we simply asked ourselves this question — should a player who had earned his way into the 2022 U.S. Open, via our published field criteria, be pulled out of the field as a result of his decision to play in another event? And we ultimately decided that they should not.”

Johnson, Oosthuizen, Phil Mickelson, Sergio Garcia and Talor Gooch are among the golfers who have qualified for next week’s US Open – which is live on Sky Sports from June 16. Johnson remains hopeful he will play Ryder Cup
When asked about never playing in the Ryder Cup again, Johnson said: “It was [a difficult decision to resign knowing it would make him ineligible for the Ryder Cup], but hopefully all things are subject to change and at some point it’ll change and we’ll be able to participate.

“If it doesn’t, it was another thing I had to think long and hard about, and ultimately I decided to come do this and play out here. “The Ryder Cup is unbelievable and something that has definitely meant a lot to me, and I’m proud to say that I’ve played and represented my country, and hopefully I’ll get a chance to do that again, but I don’t make the rules.

“I chose what’s best for me and my family.” Johnson: New format is exciting
Of the Saudi-backed LIV format, Johnson added: “Ever since I was first introduced to this idea, I thought it was great for the game of golf.

“We see it all the time where you can get the bad side of a draw, and unfortunately that’s just how it goes, but now we’d all play at the same exact time, same exact conditions, so it’s going to be a really true test. “Whoever wins, there’s no: ‘Well maybe if I would have teed off early on the first day I might have won the golf tournament,’ it’s a true test to see who’s playing the best that week.

“I’m excited about playing. There’s three rounds, no cut, it’s a shotgun start, so to me everyone is playing in the same conditions. “I was excited about a new format, a new kind of golf that I think is great for the game, is great for the fans, and I think it’s going to be very exciting.

Check the latest Sports news section for latest updates.

The best source of news - newszf.com
Logo
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare
0