Daniel Ricciardo has ‘committed’ to staying at McLaren

Daniel Ricciardo has 'committed' to staying at McLaren

Daniel Ricciardo has stated his commitment to Formula One and his determination to remain with McLaren until the end of his contract next year.

“I’m committed to McLaren till the end of next year and am not leaving the sport,” he tweeted.

The Australian, 33, is under contract with McLaren until the end of 2023 but has struggled to keep up with teammate Lando Norris this season.

“I understand that it hasn’t always been easy, but who wants easy?!”

McLaren have been exploring their options in case Ricciardo left the team at the end of the season.

Ricciardo’s future has been the subject of speculation since McLaren Racing chief executive Zak Brown said last month that his time with the team had not met expectations.

They have considered Williams driver Alex Albon and Alpine reserve Oscar Piastri, and Aston Martin’s Sebastian Vettel has also been linked to the team.

“I’m working my ass off with the team to make improvements and get the car right and back to the front where it belongs,” added Ricciardo. “I still want this more than ever.”

McLaren is busy creating options for itself in terms of its future driver line-up. Norris signed for the team until the end of 2025 earlier this season.

But McLaren this week gave IndyCar front-runner Colton Herta a test in a 2021 car at Portimao in Portugal, and is known to be open to the idea of the American switching to F1 if he proves himself capable of the move. McLaren have also signed IndyCar champion Alex Palou for 2023, but has not said in which category the Spaniard would race.

The constructor has a team in the all-electric Formula E series in addition to F1 and IndyCar, as well as the electric off-road Extreme E category. Palou’s contract includes some seat time in an F1 test and the 25-year-old said in McLaren’s statement announcing his deal that he was “excited to be able to show what I can do behind the wheel of a Formula 1 car and looking at what doors that may open”.

  Like all F1 teams, McLaren are obliged by regulations to run non-regular drivers in two free practice sessions this season. Team principal Andreas Seidl said on Tuesday that this would take place after the August summer break and that plans had not yet been confirmed.

Check the latest Sports news section for latest updates.

The best source of news - newszf.com
Logo
Compare items
  • Total (0)
Compare
0