Bronx apartment fire: 17 dead, including 8 kids
In the wake of the deadly New York City apartment fire, which investigators say started because of a space heater, Lexington emergency services are taking to social media to get the word out about heating safety.
According to the Lexington Fire Department, most home fires are reported in the months of December, January, and February. Major Jessica Bowman with the agency adds, “heating equipment is the second most common cause of home fire fatalities.”
Therefore, to avoid unwanted disaster place your space heater on a flat surface, so it does not tip over. Also, keep it away from children or pets to prevent it from falling.
Authorities also say to never plug your heat source into an extension cord or a power strip, and do not plug additional electronics into the same circuit. This can cause overheating. In addition, before you go to bed or leave your house, unplug the portable heater.
The fire department urges Kentuckians to keep their space heaters three feet away from anything that can burn, such as bedding, clothing, and curtains, and turn it off before you go to bed or leave the room.
Read more of the latest news
Officials want to remind everyone space heaters are only meant to warm your room, so never dry or warm clothing on it. Also, they say to not get creative with how to heat your home. That means ovens and stoves are only designed for cooking.
Close Modal Suggest a Correction
Suggest a Correction
Check the latest news about Space news section for best information related to Space topic.