Community fridge shut down by City of Abilene, health concerns cited | KTAB

Community fridge shut down by City of Abilene, health concerns cited | KTAB

ABILENE, Texas (KTAB/KRBC) – A fridge that was going to provide fresh food and produce to community members in Abilene has been shut down by the city because it may have been unsafe.

The fridge, located outside Howard Radio on N 1st Street, was officially unveiled to the public Tuesday and was only in operation a couple days before it had to close.

A social media post made Thursday night stated the City of Abilene told community fridge organizers to shut the operation down, threatening to pour bleach on the food if they didn’t comply.

City officials released the following response when asked about their decision to end the community help project, citing numerous health concerns if organizers were to have continued without intervention:

Staff met with her.  She was not “forced” to throw food away.  She was actually allowed to go and retrieve the food even though by law she was supposed to throw the food out in the presence of staff.   She was educated about what she can provide and how to protect the food supply.  She mentioned other community fridges which staff researched and they all state they’re from approved food sources (restaurants and food pantries) and located inside accessible buildings.  She also has no way to monitor temps on the fridge (data logger that communicates with the person tracking like we have on vaccine…

Read More from

The best source of news -
Compare items
  • Total (0)