News Health: According to health officials, every 9 minutes a child goes to the ER because they got into medicine, and in Kentucky nearly 1 in 6 of all child deaths and near-deaths are related to ingesting something.
Dr. Howard also says the number of kids who have ingested melatonin has increased more than 500% in recent years.
“And that’s access to multi-vitamins, over the counter prescription medications, Tylenol is a substance that can be dangerous to kids” said Dr. Christina Howard, the Chief of the Pediatric Forensic Medicine Division
And that a big reason for accidental ingestion is that many medications look kid friendly.
“And what it does is this zipper closes just normally and then it has this little gadget on the end with the zipper goes through and then you can put this lock on it and secure it remove the key and that prevents a child from being able to easily unzip the bag and get in” said Dr. Howard.