So in this guide we are talking about Fix ‘iTunes Cannot Read the Contents of the iPhone Error’ Issue.
Guide: Fix ‘iTunes Cannot Read the Contents of the iPhone Error’ Issue
iTunes is software that you can use to add, organize, and play your digital media collection on your computer and sync it with your portable device. It’s a songbird-like jukebox player and Windows Media Player, and you can use it on Mac or Windows computers. The main difference between iTunes and some other media players is the built-in iTunes Store (where you can also get podcasts, iPhone, iPad and iPod touch apps, music videos, movies, audiobooks, and TV shows) and its multi-level integration with the Apple iPhone and its portable player iPod media.
This is a very well-known bug from Apple, and many users are really complaining about this issue. Also, those who clicked OK without carefully reading the error message later found that they had made the wrong decision. Keep in mind that if you click OK in this error message, your iPhone will be erased, which also means it will completely delete all data stored on your phone.
Possible reasons why iTunes can’t read my iPhone
Apple has not yet answered exactly why iTunes cannot recognize the contents of the iPhone and ask the device to restore the factory settings. However, some mobile experts suggest that this is a software issue. So we have summarized the possible reasons below.
- iTunes is not installed correctly. Components left over from a previous iTunes installation or from an unsuccessful logon to the computer as an administrator. Because this error often occurs after installing or updating iTunes.
- Corrupted files affect recognition. There are some corrupted files on your iOS device or some files are incorrectly written by third-party software.
- The error is caused by the device. If your iOS device is jailbreaked or used second-hand, then it is most likely because the root process of your device has modified the required files for this connection.
Possible iTunes solutions cannot read the contents of the iPhone problem
Below we offer 4 viable solutions. You can try one or more of them to solve this problem according to your opportunity.
Update or reinstall iTunes
As already mentioned, the error iTunes fails to read iPhone content happens due to properly installed iTunes. So updating or reinstalling iTunes may fix the problem.
If your iTunes is out of date, first update iTunes to the latest version on your Windows PC / Mac. Make sure iTunes can work normally with your iPhone after the update. If not, you can try reinstalling iTunes. Follow the instructions below.
On a computer running Windows 10:
To uninstall iTunes
- Open Control Panel and go to Programs and Features.
- Locate iTunes and click Uninstall.
- Wait until the process is complete.
To reinstall iTunes
- Open the Microsoft Store and search for iTunes.
- Click Download. Follow the instructions on the screen.
- Launch iTunes.
- On Mac:
- Go to the Finder and click on Applications.
- Select and drag iTunes to the Trash.
- Hold down Ctrl and click Trash and press Empty Trash.
- Simply go to the official Apple iTunes website or the App Store and click the Download button.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to download iTunes.
Now that you have uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes on your computer, try reconnecting your iPhone and see if iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone still showing error.
Rename the iTunes library file name
One of the reasons iTunes can’t read the iPhone is that your iPhone is interrupted by a jailbreak and some files are modified by root. You may occasionally rename these files, forcing your iPhone to create new versions of the database. here is a guide you can follow.
- Open iFile on your iPhone.
- Go to / var / mobile / Media / iTunes_Control / iTunes.
- Rename iTunes DB, iTunes control and iTunes prefs. (iTunes DB> iTunes DB.old, iTunes control> iTunes control.old and iTunesPrefs> iTunesPrefs.old)
- Reconnect iPhone to iTunes and see if this works for you.
Use iTunes Alternative Tool
Instead of trying to solve the problem iTunes can’t read the contents of the iPhone, you can use iTunes alternative to back up your iPhone. You can use the iPhone AOMEI MBackupper, which offers a better user experience than iTunes, to back up to a computer running Windows 10.
- It supports most iPhone models from iPhone 4 to the latest iPhone 12, iPhone XS / XS Max / XR / 11.
- Works with iPad / iPad mini / iPad Air / iPad Pro and iPod touch 1/2/3/4/5/6/7.
- Compatible with the latest iOS 14.
Here’s how to back up your iPhone to Windows 10/8/7 using AOMEI MBackupper:
- Download and install AOMEI MBackupper.
- Connect your iPhone via USB and tap Trust This Computer on your iPhone.
- Click Custom Backup.
- Check all the data for backing up your iPhone. Then click the Start Backup button to continue.
- when your backup is complete. You can easily find the backup files by clicking Location in Backup Management for recovery, Browse, Delete backup.
Restore to factory settings
The last and always functional option would restore your device to factory settings using iTunes. Since all data will be deleted from your iOS device, you should back up iCloud, if not, you can back up using iTunes alternative AOMEI MBackupper mentioned in Solution 4 now before restoring factory settings.
Steps to reset all settings as below:
- Go to Settings and tap General.
- Click Reset and then Clear All Content and Settings.
- After resetting, check to see if the issue that iTunes can’t read the contents of iPhone 12 is resolved.
Final words: Fix ‘iTunes Cannot Read the Contents of the iPhone Error’ Issue
I hope you understand and like this guide Fix ‘iTunes Cannot Read the Contents of the iPhone Error’ Issue. If you find this tutorial blog interesting then share with your family and friends.